Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Hitching a ride

I live in a small house on the outskirt of town. In the winter season, we might get several feet of snow. I don’t mind, I love to ski and as I own a four wheel drive Honda SUV, I don’t fret about the driving.

Last week, things happened that I can’t explain. I’ll share my diary with you.


MONDAY
It snowed all day, the weather office had forecasted six inches of snow but we must have gotten a foot. I went outside to shovel my driveway but as I came near my Honda, I could see foot print in the snow leading to my car rear door but none leaving. I compared the footprint to my foot and the footprint was much larger. I slowly circled around my car and didn’t find any footprint.  The snow blanket was intact.


I was thinking “Did I forget to lock the doors? Great! Now there is probably a homeless man sleeping in my car. I’ll wake him up and bring him to a shelter.”  


I had to remove the snow from my car, but my snow brush was inside. With my gloves, I cleared the window and knock on it yelling: “Hello is there any one there?” This man must have been sleeping with ear plugs on. He didn’t answer and I couldn’t detect any movement. I tried the handle to the rear door. Locked! “He must have locked the doors” I thought.


I fished my keys from my pocket, unlocked and opened the rear door. THERE WAS NO ONE IN THERE! I looked in the front seat: NO ONE! I looked in the trunk: NO ONE! I looked back to the footprints; they were there but now there was also mine, mine and the missing stranger’s. Obviously, I hadn’t hallucinated.  After I had cleared the car and the driveway, it was late and I was ready to go to bed.


I don’t know what to make of this, I don’t know if I will be able to sleep, every creak in the house, every noise outside; I have to investigate. If anyone else is reading my journal right now because I have disappeared, you will know what happened or maybe you won’t!


TUESDAY
It was a perfect winter day to ski. The weather was cold enough that the trails were in perfect shape for my favourite sport. I hurriedly ate my breakfast and got my ski on the rooftop of my car. Not wanting to pay the gouging prices at the ski resort I brought a sandwich and a soup.


After a few hours on my skis I went back to my car for lunch.  Half of my sandwich was missing! WHAT THE HECK! Why would anyone break into my car and take half a sandwich? I ate the remainder half, got my soup and I could swear half was also missing. Not able to explain any of this but not wanting it to ruin my day, I went back to the trails. In the middle of the afternoon I ate some trails mix I had with me, none were missing, I don’t mind sharing, but only on my terms!


On my return home I felt a presence. It was as if there was a passenger. I am a rational person so I blamed my mind for playing tricks.


WENDESDAY
I had to go to the store. On my drive there, I turned on the heater. A few miles later, I realized only cold air was coming out. I looked at the controls; they were set to Cold. I turned the knob back to the hot position. Five minutes later, I looked back and the knob was still set to Cold. The whole drive was as toasty as living in an igloo; I couldn’t keep the knob in the heat position.


I went to the Honda dealer; the manager told me they were very busy but the mechanic could take a quick look at my car and I would have to come back if it were to take too long or if the fix needed parts. The mechanic didn’t find anything wrong with the heater. He even showed me how warm the air coming from the duct was. Boy did I feel stupid! We both laughed it off and I drove back home.


I wasn’t yet out of the dealer’s parking lot that the knob had traveled back to the Cold setting! Until I have time to have it fixed, I’ll have to dress warmer.


The most disturbing was that once in a while I caught a shadow in the back seat. It was just a glimpse but I swear I saw someone looking straight at me.


THURSDAY
As I drove to the gas station I needed to clear my head from all the unexplained events of late so I turned on the radio and sang along with Adele. The radio switched to a hard rock station and Led Zeppelin blasted through the sound system. OMG I almost lost control!


I tried to select my previous station but it would not move from Led. I tried to turn off the radio, no luck there either. I was driving cold as a snowman, and getting Led poisoning!. “What will be next?” I asked myself. There is a saying: “Don’t ask a question if you don’t know the answer”.


I longed to be by myself in the car and be the only master. I started talking to my passenger: “Stop or I’ll get my car exorcised, you dirty…” I couldn’t finish my statement, the radio got louder and louder.


FRIDAY
This evening when I took my car, the radio was silent. I didn’t turn it on, I had my lesson.


Coming up to an intersection I heard a cold creepy voice behind me that sounded like an old man about to die: “TURN RIGHT!”


The car was really cold, but my spine became much colder. I was so frightened. I looked back but of course the seat was empty of any physical human being. I braked so hard that the car behind me almost rear ended (should I say) us.


For the longest time, I just stayed in the middle of the intersection. “TURN RIGHT, NOW!” the voice demanded. Suddenly I felt pressure on my shoulder; it felt like a hand, a frozen hand. This was just too much and I U-turned out of there, drove back home, parked the car, and ran home, never looking back.


SATURDAY
I called a towing company. The operator asked me what was wrong with the car. I told him nothing was wrong it worked perfectly; I just wanted him to tow it to the Toyota dealer.


I hitched a ride in the tow truck to the Toyota dealer. I met a sale agent and asked him how much would he give me for my Honda as I wanted to trade it for a new Toyota SUV? Boy did I make his day! Since all I wanted was to get rid of the Honda, I didn’t negotiate much for the price on the car.  Should I have mentioned the problems I had? Would it be considered a “hidden defect”? Didn’t know, didn’t care.


We happily shook hands, signed a contract and out of the corner of my eyes I could see an employee parking the Honda on their car lot. Good riddance!


Driving back home, the heater was on at full blast, the radio tuned to MY station, and no spooky voices. I was so glad to be alone in my new car and that what-ever-it-was didn’t follow.


I know in a few years when I read my journal, I will be laughing at this, but I’m not laughing now.


SUNDAY
Last night it snowed, just an inch. I looked outside and saw footprints leading toward my new Toyota!  I went to investigate, I walked cautiously and I could see two sets of footprints. One set must have belonged to a child and the other one to a woman. I didn’t make any sound; I walked around my car, there were no other footprints.


“Are we there yet?” I clearly heard a child ask from inside the car.

“Shush he is coming!” the woman whispered.






No comments:

Post a Comment